S&P 5007,785.76▼0.2% Nasdaq26,729.16▼0.3% Dow53,732.41▼0.2% Russell 2K3,068.42▲0.5% 10-Yr4.70%+6bp VIX14.25−0.38 WTI$82.40▲1.4% Gold$4,432.00▲1.6% EUR/USD1.157▲0.4% BTC$64,093▼0.6% Nikkei68,309▲1.2%
At close · Fri, Aug 14, 2026
Daily Market Updates.

Global Markets

HomeGlobal MarketsTrade & TariffsStrikes near Hormuz disrupt Iranian fishing livelihood

Strikes near Hormuz disrupt Iranian fishing livelihood

Fishing at the Strait of Hormuz has resumed for some workers after months of fighting, following reported deaths and disappearances among fishermen.

Agence France-Presse reports that Iranian fisherman Mohammad Amin restarted his daily routine after more than three months of disruption caused by fighting between Iran and the United States around the Strait of Hormuz. Amin, 47, had to leave his boat idle and exhausted his savings during the period, fearing that strikes would destroy small boats moored along the Bandar Abbas waterfront while he could not afford to resume fishing. He said it had been impossible to go out to sea, and he has returned only for about 20 days.

The outlet also notes that nearly a dozen fishermen were killed off Bandar Abbas and nearby southern islands, and that 17 other fishermen from Sistan-Baluchistan province went missing during the same months of conflict, citing Iranian media.

In the resumed fishing period, Amin said he is again mending nets and heading out before dawn to return hours later with a catch, as he tries to operate again despite the ongoing risk surrounding the strategic waterway.

More like this

Sources

Get the close, explained.

One email every trading day: what moved, why it moved, and what's on deck tomorrow. Read in 3 minutes.

Free. Unsubscribe anytime.