S&P 5007,785.76▼0.2% Nasdaq26,729.16▼0.3% Dow53,732.41▼0.2% Russell 2K3,068.42▲0.5% 10-Yr4.70%+6bp VIX14.25−0.38 WTI$82.40▲1.4% Gold$4,432.00▲1.6% EUR/USD1.157▲0.4% BTC$72,725▲5.0% Nikkei68,309▲1.2%
At close · Fri, Aug 14, 2026
Daily Market Updates.

Global Markets

HomeGlobal MarketsNorth AmericaLewes rail line slated to reopen in September after So…

Lewes rail line slated to reopen in September after Southern derailment

Network Rail said three back carriages derailed on Aug. 13, injuring 30 people, and the line is expected to stay closed until Sept. 1 while evidence is preserved.

Work is underway to remove carriages from a Southern train that derailed near Lewes, as Network Rail targets a September reopening of the East Sussex route. Rail bosses said they are prioritizing bringing the line back before the end of the school holidays, even as recovery workers face very challenging circumstances.

According to the initial report by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, a track defect on the approach to the derailment site contributed to the incident. The derailment occurred on Aug. 13, with 30 people injured and passengers trapped on board, and the hottest day of the year so far was cited in the report.

The stretch of railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath is scheduled to remain closed until Sept. 1. Network Rail said the shutdown is intended to give time for the complex recovery effort, including lifting the derailed carriages by crane, and for recovery teams to preserve evidence.

Network Rail’s Sussex route director said the derailment location near the River Ouse makes reinstatement particularly complex, with teams working around the clock to reopen the line safely. The outlet reported that 20 people were taken to hospital and two suffered serious injuries, which were not deemed life-threatening.

More like this

Sources

Get the close, explained.

One email every trading day: what moved, why it moved, and what's on deck tomorrow. Read in 3 minutes.

Free. Unsubscribe anytime.