S&P 5007,785.76▼0.2% Nasdaq26,729.16▼0.3% Dow53,732.41▼0.2% Russell 2K3,068.42▲0.5% 10-Yr4.70%+6bp VIX14.25−0.38 WTI$82.40▲1.4% Gold$4,432.00▲1.6% EUR/USD1.157▲0.4% BTC$64,382▲2.5% Nikkei68,309▲1.2%
At close · Fri, Aug 14, 2026
Daily Market Updates.

Global Markets

HomeGlobal MarketsTrade & TariffsTrump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz deal

Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz deal

The threat follows weeks of talks between Iranian and Omani officials over maritime navigation arrangements through the strait, which Trump says remains under US control despite reduced traffic.

US President Donald Trump said he would bomb Oman if it blocks an American deal involving Iran over control of the Strait of Hormuz, calling for Iranian surrender. Trump made the comments to Fox News journalist Trey Yingst, according to SCMP Economy.

The warning targets ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on future maritime navigation arrangements through the Hormuz shipping route, which Iranian and Omani officials have been discussing for weeks. The foreign ministry in Tehran said earlier on Monday that the two sides were working on a joint declaration.

SCMP Economy reported that Trump has repeatedly insisted the strait is under US control, even as traffic remains throttled, and he has also said he could declare the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory. Iran has responded that the energy waterway it has blockaded will remain Iranian.

The article notes that the Hormuz strait was previously viewed as an open international waterway but that it carries significant portions of global energy shipments and other commodities, raising stakes for markets if disruptions continue.

More like this

Sources

Get the close, explained.

One email every trading day: what moved, why it moved, and what's on deck tomorrow. Read in 3 minutes.

Free. Unsubscribe anytime.