Global Markets
Home›Global Markets›Trade & Tariffs›Iran signals shift toward offensive operations as US s…
Iran signals shift toward offensive operations as US standoff drags on
Iran’s military reshuffle calls for prioritizing large scale offensive operations while keeping control of the Strait of Hormuz, a route that analysts say has helped disrupt global energy flows and push up prices.
Six months after US Israeli strikes began on February 28, Iran has started signaling a shift from retaliation to offensive operations, according to reporting by SCMP Economy.
Iranian officials say the change is tied to Tehran’s belief it has leverage in the confrontation, including maintaining control over the Strait of Hormuz. The outlet notes that the strait is a key supply route and has disrupted global energy movement, lifting energy prices.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei laid out the approach in a reshuffle of senior military commanders earlier this month, calling for strengthening maximum deterrence and preparing for large scale offensive operations while retaining control of the strategic waterway.
A deputy commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards also said Tehran is revising military doctrine to give offensive operations strategic priority. Analyst Sina Toossi of the Centre for International Policy said the shift does not amount to preventive war, but instead suggests Iran is prepared to escalate earlier and more forcefully if confrontation becomes unavoidable.